The best way to keep your child safe in the car this holiday season is to use the right car seat in the right way. Here are some car seat safety tips to protect your most precious cargo!
The Hard Facts About Safety in Cars
- Road injuries are the leading cause of preventable deaths and injuries to children in the United States.
- Correctly used child safety seats can reduce the risk of death by as much as 71 percent.
- More than half of car seats are not used or installed correctly.
Top Tips for Car Safety
- Buying the right car seat
- Your baby needs to ride in a rear-facing car seat as long as possible until they are 2 or more years old. When your child has outgrown that seat, you are ready to purchase a forward-facing car seat. Get more details about the right car seat for your child through the Parenting Cottage of Lubbock and their free car seat program.
- Installing your car seat
- You’ll need to decide on using either the seat belt or lower anchors to secure your car seat. Both are safe, but do not use them both at the same time. Once your child is forward facing, it is important to use the tether with the seat belt or lower anchors.
- Getting the Right Fit
- A properly-fitting harness gives the best possible protection for your child. The Parenting Cottage of Lubbock has a FREE car seat program and they can provide you with the right fit for your child.
- When to Change your car seat
- Look on the car seat label to make sure your child is still within the weight, height, and age limits for the seat.