Black Friday is almost here and that means we can buy awesome Christmas gifts at low prices, but is Black Friday itself a huge price to pay? Every year, there are incidents that make shoppers wonder if the shopping trip is worth it.
Getting caught in a stampede or losing friends and family members while shopping happens all the time. Thieves also come out on Black Friday in hopes to pickpocket or steal items from your car in unlit parking lots.
Here are some important safety tips to keep in mind while you shop:
- Drive to the store carefully. There may be distracted drivers on the road.
- Park near the store in a well-lit area.
- Don’t leave your purse/bags in the cart or in an unattended cart.
- Carry your bags close to your body.
- Avoid carrying large amounts of cash, only bring one card, and keep your wallet safe!
- Avoid shopping alone – there is always safety in numbers!
- Only shop in well-lit stores with security guards.
- Avoid stores that create a potential for a stamped by giving out free gifts or coupons to the first shoppers to get in.
- Don’t try to keep up with the crowd. If you get caught in a stampede, try to find a wall and stand against it until the crowd dies down.
- Always keep your children close, especially in crowded areas.
- Teach your children to find a security guard or police officer if they lose you.
- If the weather is bad, consider staying home to avoid dangerous road situations. If you have to go out, leave earlier than you need to and take your time while driving.